Sunday, July 17, 2011

All Aboard! the Horror Express

Horror Express (1972) is one crazy-ass movie that scared the pee out of me when I was a kid. I remember staying up late, eating Polish sausage, onion, and Open Pit sandwiches, while sucking Schweppes ginger ale from a can and watching this bad boy between burps. Now I can't really explain the plot, but it's unlike anything you've seen before. It's horror/sci-fi on a train with a Spaghetti Western vibe. Packed inside you'll find missing links, mad monks, aliens, Satan, spies, trepanning, evil eyes, the trans-Siberian railroad, pseudoscience, secret formulas, zombies, and did I mention Telly Savalas as a hotheaded Cossack? Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing anchor the picture as a pair of British scientists defending the train from Eee-vil. The music is great, creepy, and wonderfully overdone. It all goes down like a Polish sausage, onion, and Open Pit sandwich. Make mine a double. And don't forget the Schweppes!

2 comments:

  1. Readers, I can verify the Open Pit thing. I remember vividly Sidor putting the vile stuff on pizza. PIZZA! The thought is as upsetting to me now as it was all those years ago. (BTW - are there any LEVEL-headed Cossacks?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember staying up late, eating Polish sausage, onion, and Open Pit sandwiches, while sucking Schweppes ginger ale from a can and watching this bad boy between burps. Now I can't really explain the plot, but it's unlike anything you've seen before. horror

    ReplyDelete